Thursday, March 26

Home Alone, not a problem!!

Conversations with a 6 year old can be thought provoking. I had a conversation that went something like this with mine :)

Kara: "If you and dad died, would you send me to live with my grandmas? Cuz there's this girl in my class at school, she lives with her grandma."

Me: "Ya, that would probably be a safe place for you to live. But I hope that never happens."

Kara: "I could live by myself, actually. I could just take care of myself."

Me: "Oh really, well how would you cook your food, would you just have Ramen Noodles for every meal? You know how to cook those. You wouldn't know how to use the stove or the oven."

Kara: "I can just turn them on. I would just use a recipe!"

Me: " Well what about your clothes, how would you know what to do with the washer and dryer so you could do laundry?"

Kara: "It would be easy, just put the soap in and turn them on. (DUH)"

Me: (thinking how she really doesn't seem concerned at the difficulty of living alone at 6) "What about all the bills and the grocerys, how would you pay for them?"

Kara: "I don't know, I have to go to school and not go to work. So, I would just tell them I need to pay just a little bit."

Me: "I think they would tell you no because you have to pay all your bills and pay for groceries."

Kara: "Well, I guess I would need you til I was 27. If I'm 27 then I could probably move out by myself and then when I get 29 I would really be able to live just fine by myself!"

Me: "Ya, I hope you don't need me til your 27, but I hope you will always want to talk to me and come visit me."

Kara: "I think I will. But I don't know?"

Now, what am I learning from this great conversation we had in the car? That the concept of responsibility and age is obviously still not something a 6 year old can grasp. I love that she "thinks" she will want to see me and talk to me in her adult years, but she's just not sure? What's with that?....she better.

1 comments:

Greg and Heather said...

how cute! that cracks me up. my boys would get tears in their eyes just talking about it. "don't leave me mom!"